Saturday, July 11, 2009

Asheville in Four Days

Photobucket

Photobucket

I heard about Asheville for the first time two months ago from my buddy who I get reefers from. He used to live there and was telling me I should check it out if I was thinking of going to the South for the Summer. What really got my attention was when he mentioned that it was firefly season. I had never seen fireflies yet I had written a song called firefly. So basically I came here to see a firefly. But I ended up seeing much more. The great thing about Asheville is that it is in the middle of the Appalachian Mountains. Its the home to many talented musicians. Ol'timey music, bluegrass, and a budding indie scene dominate the nightlife here at local pubs that serve locals brews. The community here is very open, and hospitable to travelers. My first night in town I was dropped off downtown and found my way to an open mic where I figured I would meet some people and they would put me up for a night of two. Unfortunately I came to early and I ended up trading songs with one of the most established local songwriters in the area, Pierce Eden(www.myspace.com/pierceeden1). After I played the place started filling up, but I was beat. I walked a few miles to the cemetery and found a place out of sight to camp. I saw my fireflies that night.

Photobucket

I woke up early the next morning to the sight of grey cloud swiftly movin' in. I packed up my stuff and headed back into downtown where I took cover and waited out the rain. It was at this point when it really hit me. "I'm out here all alone. I don't know anyone. And I have no where to go. What am I doing?" I went to the library and found the nearest hostel(www.bonpaulandsharkys.com)online. When I got there the sun just broke through the clouds. Thirteen dollars a night and I can camp outside the hostel. They have a hot tub too! Did another open mic, met people, met a gorgious hippie girl named Rose who lived at the hostel for three months and has decided she now wants to be a voga teacher.

Photobucket

The next day I woke up early and rode with my new friend Mike on the Blueridge Parkway(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blue_Ridge_Parkway) for about fifty miles. We went to the highest peak east of the Mississippi, Mount Mitchell. We couldn't see anything because it was cloudy so we left and hiked to a waterfall.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Yesterday I ate mushrooms in the cemetary. I found three generations of Augustusi buried at the top of a hill. The cemetary was so serene and peaceful. The best trip I have been on. I walked back into town and found the weekly drum circle where I met another traveler named Christian. We ended up hanging out at the rest of the night trading stories and songs over cigarettes and PBR.

Photobucket

Thomas Wolfe's grave
Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

I'm leaving tonight for NY and will be there for a few days. Then off to Boston then Columbus, and possibly back here to Asheville for a few weeks. I got a job at the hostel in August.

Photobucket

The city of Asheville is paying artists to paint these murals under the freeway overpass.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment